Thursday, March 24, 2011

Two Birthdays

Today was another easy peasy day. Because the kids have swim lessons it is pretty much a half day for the next week! I cannot believe how fast the time is going, sorry, I know I say that pretty much every entry but yea, it is flying! So, yesterday was Alazer’s birthday and today I asked him how it was and if he got anything special. He walked closer to me and whispered, “I got KFC for dinner” I started smiling and was like, “Wow! I bet that was good!” He said, “yes, it was good but did know I have two birthdays and today is my other birthday.” I said, “What do you mean?” He says, “Well in my country, in Ethiopia, my birthday is on the 24th which is today. But when I came here my mom changed it to the 23rd which was yesterday. So today is my birthday where lots of people give me presents but yesterday was my birthday only for my mom to give me presents. Everyone in my family gets two birthdays. That’s just how my family is.” Haha it was so cute!
On the bus ride back to the pool Jade was sitting in front of me and this is our conversation:
Jade: Miss Boehme, what is your favorite color?
Me: Purple.
Jade: What is your favorite animal?
Me: Tiger.
Jade: What is your favorite number?
Me: 3
Jade: You have a purple tiger that has three legs.
Me: ……blank stare, I didn’t really know what to say and I probably gave her one of my looks that many of you know I can give.
Jade: You can go back to America and teach everyone that game now.

Today at school I got a phone call from my wonderful Mama and sister!! It was good to hear their voices even though I was nervous when the registrar lady told me my mom was on the phone! But yea it was a nice surprise and they called during morning tea so it was great timing since the kids were at recess.

I also got a special something in the mail today! It was an invitation to Leah’s bridal shower! I wish I could be there for it but I will be there in spirit! Maybe I can be skyped in? I’ll try to work it out because I miss all those besties from high school! Glad I am still so close with y’all even though it has been 4 years!

Isaiah 41:13

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen!! I can't wait to play that game with you. And yes, I am so happy and blessed to have the most wonderful friends for so long!! I love reading your blog and can't wait to hear your accent when you come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool game! Ha! I know "The Look" of which you speak!! I like the idea of two birthdays!! Hope you have a great weekend!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, you should've told Alazer that in America, you like to make your birthday last for the entire month of October! ;)

    Your high school besties miss you too! We are ready for you to be home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen! I will be back in 24 days and I am so pumped!! I am still working on the accent but I have the lingo down!

    Daddy - miss you and love you!

    Alice - haha yea, Kerri Anne (my teacher friend) let's her birthday last for a week and it was about two weeks ago and I told her I like to do that too! I cant wait to see you so soon!

    ReplyDelete