Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rottnest Island

Saturday was absolutely beautiful! Catie and I had to wake up early to catch the bus to get to Hillary’s Boat Harbor but it was well worth it! We met Erin and Whitley there and took the first ferry out to Rottnest Island at 8am and we stayed until 4:30 trying to do as much as we could. They have these rodent type things on the island called quokkas. They are extinct everywhere except that island. They look like a cross between a huge rat and a small kangaroo. They were cute in the face but they have a rat tail that looks pretty gross. Anyway, we hired some bikes and snorkeling gear to take with us to the island. Good thing we did because it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and if we didn’t have the bikes we wouldn’t have been able to see nearly as much as we did. I was pretty much the fastest bike rider out of the group. Haha jk I think I just had a fast bike. But yea, we rode for majority of the day trying to see as much of the island as we could. It is a huge holiday spot for every one of all ages. They have cabins to rent, places to set up tents, a grocery store, shops to buy things, restaurants, pubs, a movie theatre, bus tours, lots of bays to go snorkeling and it’s a historical place. They have old cannons that were used during WWII and we went up to Oliver Hill which I think was the highest point of the island, in the middle. That was one massive hill and it has hard riding the bike to the top but it was heaps of fun riding down! We biked for the majority of the day taking a few breaks to snorkel and lay out at the beach. Everyone was so nice and helpful as usual because all Aussies pick up on our accent and are so kind to offer help and ask us about our trip and why we are here. I really love the people here because, apart from some of the bus drivers, everyone is always happy to stop what they are doing to help you out!
When we were ordering our lunch Saturday I didn’t really know what was going on at this bakery/deli so I just ordered what the person in front of my ordered which was a chicken and avocado roll. Turned out to be a sub sandwich with baked chicken, tomato, and avocado. Well, Erin ordered the same thing except instead of saying ‘roll’ she just said chicken and avocado sandwich. They brought here a sandwich on white bread with the same thing as me except mine was a foot long which gave me lunch and a snack before we left but her little sandwich only filled her up for lunch. So if you are coming to Australia and want a sub sandwich say you want a roll. Also they call cookies biscuits and granola bars Museli bars. I think I may have already told you that but just in case, there you go. And TimTams are the best cookie/biscuit ever created. I will be starting a business to import them to the states if anyone wants to help. Forget teaching, I will earn enough by introducing TimTams to the Americans.  That alright with you, pops?! :)
Hope all is well with everyone back home. I will be home in 26 days and I am so excited to spend time with all of you again. I have been missing everyone so much and I can’t wait to hug your necks when I am back! I got lots of postcards this weekend and plan on sending those out soon so if you haven’t received a postcard please make sure I have your address so I can send you one!
Lamentations 3:24-26

2 comments:

  1. Being a cookie errrr biscuit importer may be financially rewarding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. esp if it is TimTams! "They are too die for" -Gerald in his white boy accent

    ReplyDelete