Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Yesterday started swimming lessons for the kids! I can't believe it is part of the curriculum here but I think it is pretty cool. It will be all of this week and all of next. So after lunch our kids get on a bus and we drive to Craigie Leisure Center for the swimming lessons. The students have to pay $50 ahead of time and if they don't want to pay for it or attend, they can stay at school to do other work. We have 3 groups that go throughout the afternoon and we pretty much have to block off 2 hours of the day for it. The teachers are put on a roster to either stay at school with the left overs (kids who don't go to swimming lessons) have DOTT time which is a planning period or go to the pool with the kids. Yesterday Connie and I stayed at school with the left overs and today we went to the pool. It is an indoor pool and they have all the kids divided up into different levels depending on how good they are at swimming. The kids come to school in their bathing suit with their uniforms over and they are allowed to wear flip flops to school, but they call them thongs and I think its kinda funny! So that is pretty much all that has been happening here. I am going to Rottnest Island this weekend and really looking forward to that! Sorry there isn't more to say, but the good thing is I will be home in less than a month and I can speak to your pretty little faces!

Much love

Matthew 6:25-27

7 comments:

  1. HEEEEEYYY KATHLEEEEEENN! spring is stateside so I can understand not having much too say. it is so hard to work when the weather is so nice. preety soon it will be hot as. April fools day is coming up soon. Do Aussies play pranks? this year I got a good one planned but I cannot go into it here because there are spies among us.

    Can't wait to see you

    love You
    uncle D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - greetings from San Antonio! I came today for work and am staying through the weekend to visit with some friends. It is already rather hot here so it makes me kind of dread the summer. I am a cold weather kind of gal! Oh well, nice to get out of the office for a few days.

    I saw Father Richard this weekend in Atlanta - he and Joe Stevens came for the 100th anniversary mass and dinner. It was a wonderful weekend. We are all pooped from the hard work but it was worth it.

    We are staying at a Marriott in San Antonio and there are 3 peacocks walking around the place. I have no idea what the connection is to this hotel, or this city, but there they are! We went down to the River Walk after lunch and there were all kinds of birds everywhere. All these people were eating outside by the water and pigeons, ducks, and other flying things were everywhere. When we ate, the guy asked us if we wanted a table outside. The only one available had 2 nasty pigeons walking on top......we ate inside. Yuk!

    Take care and have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathleen!
    That is so neat that the kids get to have swimming lessons as part of their school curriculum. When we lived in Maine, our school had an indoor swimming pool and we had swimming as one section of our P.E. class for the year. I think it would have been more fun to have swimming as a kid in elementary school than when you were a cool junior high girl who had to worry about how bad her hair would look the rest of the day after swimming! Ahhhhh, the memories....
    Love you!
    Aunt Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to give me some Australian swimming lessons when you get back!

    Ask those kids if they've heard Sisqo's "Thong Song"! JK JK JK, please don't ask them that!

    Love and miss you very very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey leenie deenie! Alright i know i havent been reading or posting but i have been thinking about you! i just got my post card it was awesome g'day mate! anyways we had midterms last week and i dominated them! Spring practice has begun and its been good just really been wearing me out. we are going to Biloxi on friday for a scrimmage for all the fans on the coast, so that should be fun to see some different trees and get some different sun and get out of hattiesburg for the day. I cant believe its already less than a month! crazy! i was talking to sittie tonight and she said she cant wiat till you get back! and i emailed your auburn email i guess it didnt go through email me at pbame9790@gmail.com so i get your correct one! love and miss you and cant wait till easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. uncle danny you crack me up.
    and Aunt Cyndie you and Uncle J should come down to Hattie for the black and gold game it is april 9th. Pretty sure grama and grampa are going to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Danny - yes, the do have April Fools and they say this "a pinch, a punch, its the first of the month" and they have pranks too! Can't wait to hear what you have planned!

    Aunt Gina - sounds like a fun trip! I am more of a summer girl and am really excited that I get two summers this year! It is already autumn here but it doesnt feel like it. Yesterday it got up to 41 which is over 100 degrees in our language! Hope you had a safe trip back! Love you!

    Aunt Cyndie - the girls still worry about here too! The whole way back to school on the bus they are brushing their hair and putting it in plats (braids) to get it back to normal!

    Alice -- haha you crack me up!

    Pete -- great to hear from ya mate! Sorry, I did get that email, I guess I just forgot to write you back, sorry for that! But Im glad midterms went well for you! Cant wait to see you in 24 days!

    ReplyDelete