Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bali, Indonesia

Hey Everyone! Wow, I feel like I have so much to say! So yesterday, Catie, Catherine and I left Perth to come to Bali for the weekend. We left Perth around 9:30 Friday night and got to Bali close to 1 a.m. We were the last flight to come in since Saturday started Nyepi Day. It is the Balinese New Year and a day of silence. All the Balinese people go back to their huts and spend the day in quiet and meditation with their family. The whole island is closed down, nothing on the TV or radio, lights are out, shops are closed, no taxis are running, I mean complete ghost town - we weren't even allowed to leave the hotel to go to the beach which is in walking distance away from the hotel. Anyway, they had lots of stuff going on at the hotel today so we had plenty of things to do. We woke up and went to the spa villa and got a massage, manicure, pedicure, body scrub and facial. It was so relaxing and much needed. After that we went to the restaurant by the pool and got some sandwiches and then went for a swim. They had a swim up bar which was pretty cool. By that time it was pretty much dinner time so we came back to the room to take showers and then we went to one of the restaurants in the hotel that had a Chinese buffet. I haven't had Chinese since I got here and I didn't realize how much I missed it! I felt like I should have tried some Indonesian food but the Chinese was delicious! After that we went to the Irish Pub that is also in the hotel. They said it was probably the only bar opened on the whole island. They had a Balinese band and when they said they take requests we asked if they knew how to play Sweet Home Alabama. And guess what?! They did! So we were sitting in an Irish Pub, at a hotel in Bali, listening to Sweet Home Alabama. It was priceless! I took a video of it and will try to post it on facebook soon. It was really funny with their accents -- Swee Tome Alahbama

They had a video shop by the pub that sells movies for 10000 rupiah which is about $1.50. We bought the movie 'Just Go With It' and we are watching it now. Basically, someone has gone to the movie theatre with a video camera and video-taped the whole movie. We can barely hear the movie because we hear the audience and the camera keeps moving around and cutting off the actor's heads. So they video-taped it and then burned it to a DVD put it in a fancy case that looks legit and sells it. Ha it's pretty funny to watch because we can still understand what is going on but its just really bad quality. I told Catherine she needs to keep it and show everyone back in the states.

So that is about it for now! Tomorrow we plan on going to the beach and going to the markets! All my Aussie friends have told me that I need to barter when I want to buy stuff in Bali so hopefully I can get some deals on stuff! I will try to write again tomorrow night. Also, I have uploaded some pics to facebook but I have a lot more to put up and I will try to do that soon. It takes a while to get them all uploaded so it may be later this week but no worries, you will see them all soon!

Peace and Blessings, Peace and Blessings!

1 Cor 1:23-24

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great Kath! The pics on Facebook were great too!!

    Try some Indo food. They may serve it family style so probably all three of you would have to want to eat it so you could try a lot of things. Like I always say, "when in Bali, do as the Balinese do" :-)

    Maybe you can hop over to Java and get some Java! Love you - Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeeeeeey Kathleeeeeennn! It's uncle Danny. We just got your postcard and I laughed so hard I wet my pants aunt pal did not know what the symbol was and that was even funnier. Only you would plan a trip when the country shuts down for spiritual reasons. It sounds like the mellikites

    Surely you know about pirating movies. I just cannot believe you admitted that you participated in this crime. Hollywood has a very active task force searching out the participants and prosecuting them to the full extent of the law. I just hope that you haven't given the Zaidans any ideas about ways to make money.
    Just kidding I love those boys.

    Finally today is our fat Tuesday lent starts on Monday and we will be meatless for 50 days. At our house we call it Leilaing. Haha she is now a verb. But I am not even sure she is meat free now that she is pregnant. We are heading to sit ties to make kibbee wish you were there.

    Love you Uncle D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle D- I'm a meat eater again! mmmm Steak....mmm Kibbeh (you have to remember the last time i was home, i was eating raw kibbeh like it was going out of style! Also, I think the boys know about the movie pirating but they dont have any start up money, they would need a video camera and money to pay for a ticket to get into the movie.

    Kathleen- that hotel sounds expensive! I'm glad you get to experience other parts of the world. I cant wait to see photos. I'm going to look at FB pictures after i post.

    Be safe, and a little tip on negotiating at the market....if they push back and tell you they cant go that low, walk away and say "too bad"...they'll follow you and change their minds!

    HAPPY LEILAING to the Bostany Family! if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I know how to make veggie baked kibbeh (yes...it's delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I havent responded to these in a while! I miss you all and I cant wait to see you very soon! Only 5 weeks to go! Can't believe it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete