Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This is AFL not NFL

Not too much has happened the past two or three days, hence not too many posts on this end. School has been pretty normal. Yesterday I was on duty for morning recess which means that while the kids are outside for morning recess there has to be two teachers on duty to watch them while the other teachers have a cuppa (cup of coffee/tea) in the staff room. So I was doing my duty outside and on the oval the year 6 and 7 boys were playing footy but some of them had taken their shoes off. I went over there to tell them that anyone who didn’t have shoes on needed to put them back on. Most of them obeyed straight away but one of them said, “This is AFL not NFL” I said, “it doesn’t matter what type of football they both wear shoes so put yours back on” (in my serious teacher tone voice) and he said, ‘yea, but I’m just saying this is not NFL that we are playing.” Haha even though he was still talking back I think he just wanted to point out that our football was different or something.
Yesterday instead of doing our normal boot camp in the afternoon, we all went to the oval in the neighborhood to play rugby. I finally caught on to the rules by the end of it but you can only pass the ball behind you which was really hard to do because you are trying to run forward but your teammates have to stay behind you so you can pass it to them without getting tagged since we were just playing touch. It was a lot of fun playing out there and a lot of running too!
Last night at bible study, Ash made some Turkish bread and it was so good! He put butter and garlic on it and it was like ciabatta (sp?) bread or something like that but a little thinner. I love most of the foods here but my teacher had me try cheesemite which is like vegemite but with a cream cheese type base. Two words: not good. I think that it is an acquired taste and I do not like it at all. It is very salty and I didn’t taste much cheese at all. 
Hope everyone has a great rest of the week! Peace and blessings, oh and I sent some more postcards yesterday so you may get one soon! Also, I noticed that I bought one that has already been written on! I cant believe I wasted 30 cents on a postcard that I cant even use! Ha I am trying to decide if I should keep it for a scrapbook because it is written in Swedish or something like that or if I should send it off because it is addressed and stamped already. What do y’all think I should I do about it? it’s a beautiful postcard so it would be a great thing for my scrapbook but I bet that person is looking for it in the mail from their friend that is in Perth! Thoughts?
Proverbs 3:5

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kathleen! I had a great few days in TX but am glad to be back in Atlanta - always! It has been a chilly, rainy week. Not really what I expected for the last few days of March. Do they have April Fool's Day in Australia? If so, you better come up with something good for the kids!

    As I write this, I am watching the finale of Top Chef - have you ever seen this show? It is amazing what these people can cook with all kinds of time restrictions and wierd rules. Especially amazing coming from a non-cook like me.

    Someone posted on FB that the St Elias Food Festival is the last weekend of April. I went for the first time last year with some friends from Atlanta - it was amazing! I think we will try to attend again this year and you will be back by then! Yea!

    Almost another weekend - I am sure you have something adventurous planned. Be safe and have a blast.

    Love and miss you - Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath the rugby player??? What the..???

    Gina, you have been to food festival before or did you mean first time you brought some atlantans over?

    Less than 3 weeks to go Kath!! Homestretch!!! Have fun at the dockers game this weekend!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kinda cool that you bought that postcard! Part of me thinks that you should keep it because it reminds of Eloise, Jennifer Anniston, in Love Happens when she keeps all the memorable cards that people have written with their flower orders.
    But the other part of me thinks it'd be really cool to send on, cause maybe they would like it! Like Message in a Bottle! Or you could write those people a letter and tell them you found a letter for them!
    I don't know, but either way you should translate the letter and see what it says before you decide to send it off or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kathleenie! i do not know if you have seen this baby but he cracks me up. thought you might like him:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oxmRT2YWw

    it's hard to believe we'll have 5 new babies in our family before christmas! i don't really find it hard to believe, but anna beth keeps telling people this, so i've been spreading it around. haha love and miss you! xoxo Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Gina-- they have so many food shows here! They have one called My Kitchen Rules that is pretty popular. Last night I was watching one cant remember what it was called but the guy was cooking all Lebanese food! He was making kafta and tobouli and it made me really excited for the upcoming food festival! Hope to see you there!

    Daddy - 17 days now!

    Alice - I think Ill make a copy of it to keep but Ill send it on. If it were me, I would want someone to pass it along esp since it is stamped and addressed already.

    Leah - thanks for sharing that with me! I havent been able to do my normal youtube search and I havent seen that one! You will have to catch me up on the funny youtube videos when I get back!

    ReplyDelete