Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Laby and the Tramp

Today was probably one of the funniest days so far. Remember how last week I told you that Danny said he would be fishing on Monday and not coming to school? Well, this morning he came and I said, “Danny, we missed you yesterday, where were you?” He said, “Oh I was sick.” And said, “Oh you were sick, so you didn’t go fishing?” He smiled and said, “Well yes, I went fishing, but then I got sick after that.” Ha so then we are telling morning news and Taylor’s news is that her brother is really funny (reminded me of you, Pete) and she told us a joke that he said in the car on the way to school this morning: Knock Knock. Who’s there? Granny. Granny who? Knock knock. Who’s there? Granny. Granny who? Knock Knock. Who’s there? Aunt. Aunt Who? Aunt you glad I didn’t say granny? I thought that was so funny because with their accents aunt does sound a bit like aren’t. Then I went with the kids to their Indonesian class. They take Indonesian instead of Spanish like most of our elem schools. Anyway, I have already talked to the Indo teacher a lot because she is in the Pilates class on Tuesdays and she has given me lots of tips and info about Bali. I learned a lot just from sitting in one class and I am getting really excited about going there on Friday! The language is like nothing I have heard before. I couldn’t even really relate it to anything. Here is a little indo lesson for you:
Thank you: Terima kasih              
You’re welcome: Sama-sama
This is great food: enak sekali
Selamat pagi: good morning
Selamat siang: good afternoon (11am – 4pm)
Selamat sore: good afternoon (4pm-7pm)
Selamat malam: good evening
Apa kabar?: How are you?
After that the kids had Diary time which is were they write in their journal for 20 or 30 minutes about their weekend. Alazer’s was titled Laby and the Tramp. He said that this weekend he watched a really good movie about a junk yard dog named Tramp. And then there was a beautiful dog named Laby.
Then after that we had crunch and sip and we played “I Spy”. I did the first one and then Harry went and he said, “I spy with my little eye something that is…skin colored” I pointed to my arm and said this? And he said, “yea” haha As many times as I have played that game I have never heard anyone use that one! Also during crunch and sip, Owain came up to me to say that John was squirting him with water near the water fountain. I told him I would talk to him about it. About ten minutes later Jakob came up to me and “Miss Boehme, John was squirting Owain with water.” I said, “I know Owain has already spoken to me about it and I will talk to John later”. And he said, “oh ok, so you are going to sort him out?” They use that a lot and I just think it sounds funny. And also they do not every say period for punctuation mark. They always say “full stop”. I looked it up in the Australian dictionary and it said full stop is the point at the end of a sentence. It said period: a form of punctuation, full stop. Pretty interesting. Also since it is the beginning of the month in the states I have heard people say, "Rabbit, Rabbit" Jenny, you remember when Mrs Gandy told us about that? Well, here they say "White Rabbit".
Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Love you lots and miss you much!
Philippians 4:6

4 comments:

  1. Selamat pagi Kath!! I'm excited about the Bali trip too!! I bet the food will be great. First day of fall already down under!! Have you heard anyone say "Crikey!"? That's what that alligator guy used to say on his show. So did you get John the water squirter sorted out? Love you! Kent starts next week and that means you're in the homestretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kathleen! I love reading your blog =) 3rd quarter ends for me, evie and Anthony on Monday...is austrailia on a quarter/semester system or do they use something different?

    I had a weird dream last night! You were in it, and Peter and me, and also Stanley Tucci. The three of us were these antique collectible dolls on a shelf and Stanley was a jeweler at macy's. It all tied together somehow at the time hahaha I wonder if it means anything...

    Also, the "king Curtis" video from wife swap has gotten really popular with my friends all of a sudden. Every time I see the link to it in my Facebook newsfeed, I think of our families sitting around your kitchen table laughing about silly YouTube videos :)

    miss and love you! I try to stay online for Skype as often as I can, I'll be checking to see if you're online anytime soon =) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen your class seems awesome! Thanks for thinkin of me ;) I have been thinking about you too a lot cause I am probably going to go to Auburn for a day or two during my spring break, bummer you wont be there. I know youll have a great time in Bali! Be safe and enjoy every minute of it! I love you so much Kath! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy - I just talked to you but for everyone else, I really haven't heard anyone say 'crikey' but Ill keep my ears open!

    Leah - Wow 3rd quarter ending already?! They are on a quarter system but they call it Term 1, 2, 3, 4. Term 1 is from Jan 31 - April 19. Term 2=May 9 - July 8. Term 3=Jul 25 -Sep 30. Term 4=Oct 17- Dec 15. So they have their long break from Dec to January because they follow the calendar year rather than our weird school calendar. I guess it makes sense though becuase their summer months are Dec, Jan, Feb.

    Peter - is USM Spring Break different than AUs this year? If you go, please go to my room in the village and visit Allison for me! Also make sure you see Brittany and Alice too! Ill send them an email to let them know you are going for a holiday to visit! Love you more than chuckie is scared!

    ReplyDelete