Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bali, Day 2

Today was pretty awesome. We went to the markets and got some great deals on lots of cool things! I got a pair of RayBan's for $5! Everything here is really cheap, I mean you have to barter with them but they will sell their stuff for really cheap because they need the business. It is actually kinda sad. When you are walking down the street, they will come up to you, usually saying something like "hey very pretty girl; charlie's angels; my hunny bunny" (those were our favorites from today). So you go to their little set up of merchandise and look through what you like while they are shoving stuff in your face and saying, "I give you very good price, good for me, good for you, very cheap". When you pick something and they say a price, you are supposed to say no and then say half of what they said. Then they say, "no lady, give me serious price" So then you say, "I am serious" and walk away. Then they come after you and say, "ok, ok I give it to you for that" Catie is the best at it. Catherine and I would ask her to help us so we could get good deals. I did a few on my own and got some pretty good things but I always got better deals when she was around. Everyone that we met thought we were Aussies so when we told them we were from America they said, "Oh yes, we love Barack Obama" haha

After we had a full day of shopping we walked around the beach and the city of Kuta a bit. I feel like I learned a lot today because I have never been to a third world country before. I think most people think that Bali is a tropical and beautiful place, but that is the complete opposite. I mean, the resorts and hotels are very nice but the beach and city are trashed and the people are very poor. There are stray dogs roaming the street and you can tell they are starving and have flees all over. The streets are filled with potholes and the sidewalks are all cracked and have holes in them, too. Also the weather here is so muggy and you are constantly sweating as soon as you leave the hotel. I am really glad that we came because it is an experience I will always remember. I also had a very cool War Eagle moment. Some Balinese woman in the market was wearing an Aubie Shirt!! Check out my facebook photos to see it!
Tonight we had dinner on the beach at a french restaurant while the sun was setting. It was pretty because we were far enough way so that we couldn't see the trash on the sand and we could focus on the beautiful sunset. Tomorrow we are going on a safari tour and we get to ride an elephant! I am so excited about that! It will pretty much take up the whole day and then we will head back to Perth. I will probably post again on Tuesday to let you know how the safari adventure went!

Thanks for all your prayers and support! Much love!

Hebrews 7:25

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kathleen! I am so suprised, and kind of sad, to learn that Bali is so poor and dirty. I certainly had a different picture in my mind. I am so glad, however, that you were able to make this trip and see something totally different. What a great life experience, plus $5 RayBans - just can't beat that! I loved looking at the picture you posted and can't wait to look at them again, with you, so you can tell me about everyone. Things are good here - busy as always.

    Love and hugs to you! Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, it was not what I expected, but I am glad I went too. I will be sure to show you a whole slideshow of all my pics when I come home! Will you be coming to the Food Festival the week after Easter?! Love you

    ReplyDelete