Sunday, March 27, 2011

Swan Valley Tour

I feel so cultured! I went to three wineries Sunday and it was really cool! Sunday morning after church, Tracy dropped me off at the train station where I met Catie and we rode the train into the city. It took us a while to find the coach tour bus stop but thankfully we got there and had an amazing time. My favorite wine since I have been here is called Houghton and I was so excited when we got to go to that winery. It is the biggest winery in the swan valley area. Swan Valley is a part of Perth that is along the Swan River, no surprise there. Anyway, the tour that we signed up for took us to three wineries: Houghton, Charlie’s Estate Wine, and Jarrah Ridge.  Then we went to a brewery called Elmar’s and that was pretty good too. We had some time to sit in the restaurant and we ordered some hot chips with aioli which is now one of my favorite dips! Then we went to the best part of the tour – the chocolate factory! They had the best dark chocolate and don’t worry, I brought some to bring back home! We met some pretty cool people on the tour as well. There were two girls from Ireland and they asked if I had some Irish background because they know so many Kathleen’s in Ireland and said it is a very popular name there. I said I didn’t but that my last name was German. And there just happened to be a girl from Germany on the tour, too! She asked what my surname was so I said it and spelled it for her. She said it is really pronounced Boomah and sometimes they spell it Bรถhme because the oe digraph can also be written as the o with the two dots on top. She said her sister is friends with a girl who has that same last name so maybe she is like my cousin or something! The brewery had lots of German beers too so that was pretty cool!
All in all, Sunday was a good day and I felt very sophisticated by the end of it! There were also lots of cool cheeses that we got try. There were meant to be eaten to cleanse our palate between the wine tasting but I was eating them because they tasted so good and I was getting hungry!
Starting week 9 tomorrow which means I only have about 3 weeks left and there is still heaps that I want to do! Seriously, cannot believe it.  Hope everyone has a great week!
Romans 12:2

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad we pronounce it Bame instead of Boomah, aren't you????
    You are so cultured! I will have to scout out some of that wine!
    Love you!
    Aunt Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I think that it is hard to explain Bame to everyone that I meet but it sounds better than boomah! I cant imagine my students calling me Miss Boomah!

    ReplyDelete