Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Surfin’ in the USA

Today we had a relief teacher (substitute) and it was such a relaxed day! She was actually younger than me (21) and is looking for a job and doing relief in the mean time. She was great though! I was able to teach a writing lesson and go to Kerrie Anne’s room for some observation - Kerrie Anne is a wonderful teacher for it being her first year! I had a great day with the kids, too! I was on duty for morning recess and I got to see some of the year 6 and 7’s play cricket on the oval. Very interesting game – still haven’t seen a full game to figure out how the scoring is but I hear they last for a minimum of 5 hours and can sometimes go on for days! Also one of the boys in my class, Levi, said something really funny today. I told him that I liked his hair spiked and he said “Do ya? Well my mom put hair wax in it this morning.” Haha Leila, it reminded me of when you gave me dread locks in Seattle and we had to use hair wax. I wonder if I will come back to the states with something like that again?! Hmm…
Also during morning recess, the kids are so polite and will just say “Good morning Miss Boehme” when they pass me and one of them (she is not even in my class) said to me, “I have been to the United States before. I have been to London!” I said London is great, I have been there too but it is in Europe! And then said, “Oh, well I have been there” and then she started talking about something else. When I was walking the class to music today the sprinklers were on and a boy from my class, Owain, asked if he could run through him because he was “boiling”. Haha
I guess you are wondering what the title has to do with this post. Well, today I sat in on the music lesson and it all my cohort friends it was like I was sitting in on a CTEC 3040 class!! I mean for real they had the xylophone box like instruments and had to make their own song with 4 beats. And then at the end they got to sing a song and they played the Beach Boys “Surfin’ in the USA” about 4 times!! They were all singing at the top of their lungs and had hand motions to go along with it! Pete, it reminded me of when we would sing that song and stand on the arm of the couch with the daycare kids all those years ago!
That is about it for today, right now I am watching the Australian version of “The Biggest Loser” and when they lose weight that say “I lost 5 kilos!” After this, there is another show that I have heard heaps about and I can’t wait for it to come on! It is called “Farmer wants a Wife” and it is similar to the Bachelor. They have a farmer from the outback and all of these city girls that are trying to win him over so they can be his wife. I’ll have to let y’all know what I think about it on tomorrow’s post!  I asked Tracy if they have the Bachelor over here and she said that they just finished Ali’s season before Christmas. So hopefully they will be airing Brad’s season soon! I told her that Brad was the new bachelor and she said, “I watched his season years ago!” She couldn’t believe that he was getting a second chance at it! For all of you who don’t keep up with the Bachelor this doesn’t make much sense to you but you should start watching it! You’ll be hooked! Also, I saw on the guide that they have Criminal Minds here so I’ll have to catch an episode soon! Now, if only they could show Modern Family over here!
Isaiah 12:2

8 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Lacy has told me you were over in AUS teaching & I couldnt help but be SUPER jealous! I am going to Belize in May for a teaching practicum :) Love your blog, I will be stalking it now, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, no dreads and no tats!! And don't bring home any pygmies or aborigines!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! What your dad said, no dreads, no tats also, no piercings either! I would have to agree with him about not bringing home any pygmies or aborigines, be careful to not let any of them "follow" you home either. BUT.....it wouldn't hurt to hang out with a few of them and possibly learn how to play the didgeridoo. I really think that's something our family needs, a didgeridoo player! If anything, bring one home and I'll learn how to play it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is illegal for women to play the didgeridoo! I'm pretty sure, or it's considered very disrespectful and they don't like it. Kath I think you need to ask about that because i'm curious. I can't believe the doritos and m&ms have gotten the most comments! They sound delish. It sounds like you're having a blast now. It is so not boiling here. It's supposed to snow...again. Farmer wants a wife sounds hilarious. How far are you from the great barrier reef? Do you get to travel on the weekends? Love you and keep up the blogging, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that about the music class! How funny is that?! Jeff would be so proud to know that they were really doing that with the xylophones! Some of the lab students at school were talking about their music class the other morning, and I couldn't help but laugh, thinking about all of the great times the C had in there!
    Miss you, praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea! Belize sounds wonderful! You'll have to have a blog while you are there so I can follow you!

    Daddy - okay, we'll see

    Leila - we have one aboriginal family at my school and the kids are so cute! But the teachers and other Aussies I have met do not speak too highly of the aboriginal people here. But I think Zana is right about the women playing the didgeridoo.

    Zana - You would like Farmer wants a wife! Yes, I do get to travel on the weekends but Perth is the most isolated city in the world so I dont get to do much on the east coast because it is atleast a 5 hour plane ride. But this weekend we are planning on going to Freemantle which is supposed to be a pretty cool area. Great Barrier Reef is over on the other side so it would be like you flying to CA for just the weekend.

    Jess - I could not remember Jeff's name so Im glad you said that! That class was so funny! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give way you hot as bloomin' onion.
    Love, love loving it.

    Aunt Renée

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aunt Renee!! I think about you all the time while I am here! The lady that I live with, Tracy, and her daughter, Monique remind me of you and Mariah about ten years ago! Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete