Sunday, February 6, 2011

St Luke's

Today I went to Mass at St Luke’s Catholic Church in Woodvale. It was a beautiful church and I am so happy that I got to go! I think it is so neat that I can go to church here and have the same readings that my family has at home. At least, I think that is the way it works. Today’s readings came from Isaiah 58:7-10, 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, and Matthew 5:13-16. Is that what y’all had? The priest had a great homily. He talked about us being the salt of the earth is so important because we are called to spread the Word and not be afraid if people don’t appreciate us talking about it. He said, “God didn’t call us to be the sugar of the earth, he didn’t call us to be the M&Ms of the earth.” He called us to be the salt and we do not need to be afraid that people may not like the salt. We are called to be salt and if we are not salty we are not doing out duty as Christians to spread the good news. It was just what I needed to hear because before coming here, I heard that there were Catholics all around and churches on every corner. Since I have been here I have realized that there are not many Christians at all and if there are they are just the kind that goes to church on Easter and Christmas. I know that I am here for a reason and I have already seen in growth in myself with my relationship with God since I have been here and I am so thankful for that. Also, I am thankful to be placed with a Christian household. Tracy and I have had many conversations after dinner about our faith and what we believe, she is very strong in her faith and I would not know what I would do if I could not have those types of convos with her. Anyway, I really liked the priest there. He is very funny and reminds me of Fr John Paul Kimes. His name is Fr Dennis and he is actually not the real priest but he is visiting there until the main priest gets well. Fr. Trevor (the Parish priest) has cancer and is going through treatment so Fr Dennis is staying with the parish for the time being. He is from St Emily’s which is about 45 minutes away. Today the youth group or young adult group from St Emily’s came to mass at St Luke’s and then they all went to Hillary’s Harbor to have a BBQ and visit with the young adult group from St Luke’s. After Mass, I introduced myself to Fr Dennis and he invited me out the BBQ to meet other people my age. Monique came with me and when we got there I realized that those people that I was meeting don’t even go to the church I will be attending while I am here! It was nice to meet them and one of the guys was wearing a Laker’s jersey and another was wearing a U of Texas shirt so that was funny to talk with that about that but I probably won’t ever see them again because none of them live around here. Turned out only 3 girls from St Luke’s came out and the oldest was 18 so I may see them again but I was a little disappointed that more of them didn’t come. Oh well, it was still a nice time at the marina and then my friends came after lunch and we went to the beach for the rest of the afternoon. Also, I got some postcards at the tourist shops that were there so be on the lookout for those soon!
Yesterday, I forgot to tell you all that I did laundry for the first time and I hung my clothes on the clothes line to dry! It was very windy out and the towels kept slapping me in the face – I’m sure it was a funny sight to see! Also, Catie and I went on a walk this evening after we got home from the beach and I almost got hit by a car because I want to look left, right left before I cross the street but since they drive on the wrong the side of the road I have to look right left right! It has been weird riding the passenger’s side too because it feels like I should be driving! I think most of our signs say keep right but theirs say keep left. Also, the yield signs say ‘give way’. I have yet to see a normal stop sign. They have round-abouts instead. It will be weird when I get home to drive because I will be going on three months without driving! Hope my little black beauty is ready for that!! Also, if you want to drive a manual here, you have to get a separate driver’s license for it!
That’s about it for now. I start week 2 at school tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have some more funny stories! Its 8pm on Sunday and I wish I could be watching the Super Bowl but it won’t be played until 10am tomorrow morning for us and I will be in school!
Matthew 11:28-29

3 comments:

  1. You're the peanut m&m of the earth Kath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salty and sweet! Thanks pops! Love you lots and miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youre the brown peanut m&m of the earth! better more chocolatey! ;)

    ReplyDelete