Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine’s Day

Today was the start of week 3 and I am starting to teach for the majority of the day. I really like it but I was thinking about my last two practicums and I was able to do more small group work. I have not done any small group work since I have been here and I really miss that. Everything has been whole group which is okay but I have 23 students in my class and that is a lot of 7 and 8 year olds to keep on task! They are constantly talking to one another and playing around with their pencil sharpeners and erasers. Today I was telling James to fix something on his work and I asked him where his rubber was and he said, “Oh, Mr. Double Head is right here!” haha his eraser has broken in half and he drew smiley faces on each half and now calls it Mr. Double Head! He is the cutest thing ever but it takes so much for him to focus on his work!
Today I did over 3 lessons by myself and it was so tiring! Mondays are the hardest because the students are with us the entire day, every other day they have other classes that they go to like Indonesian, Art, Computer, Music, etc. They only have PE on Fridays, but they have plenty of time to play at recess and lunch because they have their snack and lunch outside and as soon as they finish they can play outside. Hopefully I can post more pics soon to show you how much room they have to play outside. The campus is gorgeous and really spread out so they have lots of room to play cricket, tag, and whatever else.
When I got to school this morning I asked Connie if we were doing anything special for Valentine’s Day because she never said anything about it last week. She said, “is that today, I thought it was on the 15th?” I have noticed we treat V-day more of a holiday than they do. Last year I made candy for my kindergarteners and it’s always a fun day for the kids to pass out the cards to their friends and classmates. I told her that I was thinking about doing a little lesson on it and the kids could write a valentine’s day card to their mom or dad or one of their friends in the class. She said that was a good idea so after I did the S&E (social studies) lesson, I talked with them about this special day! I was asking them what they think of when they hear Valentine’s Day and they were giving the typical answers about love poems, cards, chocolate, hearts, their mom and dad giving presents. Owain said that he knew a good poem that goes like this, “Roses are red/Violets are blue/Sugar is sweet/And so are you” So I wrote it on the board and some of them wrote that in their card to give their mom. Danny said that he had a good poem that goes like this, “Roses are red/Violets are red/Everything/is red/Just like hearts.” He was so serious when he said it and thought it was the best poem ever! So as I am walking around looking at everyone’s art work and letters I get to Danny and I ask him who he is giving his to. He says, “I want to give mine to you” It was so sweet! Most every word is spelled wrong but that makes it ever cuter. He wrote Owain’s poem on the inside and even though it was written on the board this is what he wrote, “Rosis are red vilets are blue shoogar is sweet lick you” No hallmark card can beat that one!
Isaiah 41:13

5 comments:

  1. heeeey kathlleeen! I love Danny's Poem I am going to use the same one for Aunt PAl.

    Keep working with James he is either going to be an Advertising genius or a drunken bushman Either way No Worries.

    Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to celebrate Valentine's Day with your class! So sweet of little Danny! Love his invented spelling of "shoogur" :)
    Happy Valentine's Day! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen! I guess it's not Valentine's Day any more over there.....sorry I missed it. I loved the kids' poems - so very cute! I still have some of the poems my dad wrote for me when I was a kid. They all start "Roses are red...." but then have crazy rhymes. They were always so special to me but more so now that he is gone. They still make me laugh!

    It was beautiful in Atlanta today. The week is supposed to be pefect - highs in the mid to upper 60s all week and sunshine! I actually love the cold weather (even the ridiculous snow and ice we had) but have to admit that days like today make me ready for Spring.

    This coming weekend is the mid-winter in Mobile. I am going to pass on making the trip - just too much going on here to make it work. I hope they have a great crowd. The sumer convention is in New Orleans so you know that will be fun - and crowded, too!

    Your trip to Freemantle sounds like it was so fun. How super cool that you were in the Indian Ocean - really?! I haven't seen the pictures yet but I will be checking those out soon. What is your next weekend adventure??

    Hope you have a great week. I can't wait to read more about the kids, your work and your fun! Love and miss you - Aunt Gina xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen,
    Sorry I havent written in a few days, I've been in court...that's right, I was selected to be on a jury, so I'm a court employee now. I've been feeling real special ever since this happened to me. I even talk "court talk" for example, "we the jury have decided that it's cold in here" you know, stuff like that. I think Ryan thinks I'm a little nuts, but he doesnt understand court talk because he's never been employed by the court :) He's just not special like me i guess. Anyway, I loved reading your V-Day blog, the verdict is out and those kids are just absolutely adorable. We the Jury have come to the conclusion that you should bring one of them back with you. Well, we the Jury must retire for the day, I will proceed no later than 9AM tomorrow morning.
    Good Day your honor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle D - I bet Aunt Pal loved it! Hope you gave credit to little Danny though!

    Jess - I know! All the words they come up with are so funny! Also they write in Victorian Cursive and it is pretty much the same as us but the b's and p's are a little different. Ill have to show you when I get back!

    Aunt Gina - It feels like not too long ago we were in ATL for the last mid-winter! This weekend I am going to Mandura but it is close enough to be a day trip. I think we are planning to go kayaking! Ill let you know if it happens!

    Leila - I love it! I have always wanted to called in for Jury Duty! It just sounds so official! I can just hear you saying all those things! miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete