Thursday, February 17, 2011

Homework or not?

Today I was teaching a lesson on persuasive writing and how you have to have reasons to back up your opinion. So I gave the topic of should children have to do homework. The students who agree that homework should be given stood on one side of the room and the ones who disagree went to the other side. I gave them some time to talk with each other to decide on three points to present to the other group. I explained that they have to say enough details to go along with their point so that they can try to persuade the other side to agree with them. Let me tell you, they were getting into it! The side that was against giving homework had an opening point from that said, “We believe children should not give homework because it is stupid and boring” Of course I had to tell them I didn’t like that word and they needed to pick a new one but they just said, “Ok well its boring”. Then the other two points were not very memorable I think they had to do with something about not having time for going to a party or playing video games or something. The other side (which by the way has a lot of the strong readers and writers) they got very defensive and all of them had a look on their face that meant they were talking business! They said that by giving homework “we will be up here and you will stay down here” (Owain had one of his hands up near his chest and the other close to his bellybutton to give a visual) The next point was that when they grow up the children who had homework will be getting hired at all the jobs and the others will be getting fired. Ha I can’t remember the last one but I just thought it was funny how they were getting so serious with this topic! They seemed like lawyers trying to persuade the jury to believe what they believe! (threw that in for you, Leila J)
Alazer and Danny of course always crack me up. Today I was wearing a dress that has some white buttons on the front that are shaped liked roses and they are pretty big. So Alazer looks at one and says, “Are those chocolates on your dress?” and then Danny says, “oh that is making me hungry can I have some of those chocolates on your dress?” haha they are just hilarious. They sit next to each other in class and we may have to change them around because they are always crackin’ jokes.
I know I have said this before but it is just so hard being a teacher sometimes! I come home from school and am completely exhausted! I should have been preparing for next week’s lessons but I was so worn out when I got home I couldn’t do anything except relax on the back porch! Tracy’s sister Janet came over and she is awesome! Katie Evans, she is just like your mom except her hair is brown! She is a teacher at a catholic high school and she was giving me tips on classroom management this afternoon. I like that Tracy is so close with her family around here because it really reminds me of home how I am with my family.
This morning I got to Skype with Daddy and Anna Beth! It was about 6 am for me and 4 pm for them but I’m glad I got to see them! I would love to Skype with any of you as well so just send me an email or add me on Skype. My name is kathleenboehme! Tomorrow is Friday and that means I am done with week 3 and only have 9 more to go!
Before I go I must say that I am so upset about what I have heard about Toomer’s Corner. That is one of my favorite traditions and I can’t believe someone would be so malicious. I really hope they can save the trees and keep the tradition alive. I believe in Auburn and love it!
Matthew 28:5-7

6 comments:

  1. Kathleen, that is so funny how into their persuasive speeches they were! It reminds me of when Carly and Cody were sophomores at Baylor. All the English classes had to write a persuasive speech on a topic of their choice and present it to their class. Each class voted on the best speech and the winner had to present their speech in a competition with all the other winners from the other classrooms. Carly was chosen from her class and her topic was abortion...very heavy and serious. When Cody was in 10th grade, he was also chosen from his class. His topic was much lighter---why the pen is better than the pencil. Neither one took home the top prize, but Cody got a lot of laughs.

    I am so sad about Toomers Corner, too. What a loss for the Auburn family. War Eagle.

    Love you, girl!
    Aunt Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeey Kahleeen! Welcome to the real World. I know that you are just being tough on yourself and I am sure that you and the children are getting a lot out of your teaching. Your worst day is probably better than most other teachers best day. You are awesome!!! Apparently it was reported today that someone was arrested in the Toomers Corner incident. I am sure it will all work out. The tradition will live on. NO WORRIES MATE. I commented yesterday about the :0 but I never saw my remarks. Just between me and you I got it.

    Love you girl have a great weekend and we will look forward to hearing about your big adventure.

    Uncle D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Cyndie - That is hilarious! They will be learning lots about persuasive writing this year so Im sure Ill have more stories to tell!

    Uncle Danny - Im glad they caught the guy! :0
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Yo whats up?! Youre class seems legit. i definetly would have been on the no homework side because it is stupid and boring! ha! and yes they arrested a 62 year old man who was a former state trooper in Texas for being a complete iddiot and poisioning Toomer's corner! Anyways we won our intermural game last night 62 to 49. It was a lot of fun. Baseball starts here friday and i cant wait, one of the doctors for the football team is coaching his son's 10 year old team they start saturday and he asked me to come help out! pretty stoked about it. Ill hopefully get some stories to tell ya too! glad i got to talk to you yesterday and i miss you a ton! hope you had a great week and hope you have an awesome weekend! Love you Kath!
    P.S. :0! HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen,
    OMG- dont even get me started on the Trees at Auburn, I love trees and I'm so upset about it! We can talk more later. I'm going to try and skype with you but my time difference is more like 16 hours from you (i think).
    LOVE LOVE LOVE that you turned the classroom into a courtroom. I have so much to tell you about my court experience. I'll have to explain it to you on skype or in person though.

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete -- that sounds like a lot of fun to help out with the little league team! You will be great at that! I hope I can make it to some games when I get home! 57 more days!! love you!

    Leila - We are exactly 12 hours apart so that is a lot easier to figure out! Let me know when you want to skype and I will be ready! Also, are you still on facebook? I tried to look you and Zana up but I couldnt find either of you...
    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete