Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Heaps of Fun

So they use the word ‘heaps’ a lot over here! I don’t really know if I properly informed you all of my host family but I have a most mom, Tracy, and her cute daughter, Monique. Today I was telling Monique I wanted her to help me practice my Australian accent and using Australian lingo and phrases. We talked about how I can use the word ‘heaps’ cause they use it very often here! Hopefully I’ll remember everything so I can bring it back to the states!
Today was a great day. I just love my teacher and the whole teaching staff at the school. Most of them are all married and have their own children but there is one girl that is 25 and she and I connected right away! Her name is Kerrie Anne and she lives in Kingsley (the same part of town as me). I think I spoke about her in yesterday’s post but I am just so thankful to have her close by. She said she can give me a ride to and from school which is so nice because otherwise I would have to take the bus. I think her and I will be great friends. Connie and I were able to be a little more productive in the classroom today. We are expecting about 26 students tomorrow and I am so excited to finally meet the kids! There are more boys than girls and they have some interesting names! Hopefully I’ll be able to learn their names quickly!
I’m sure I’ll have much more to talk about tomorrow, today was just a pretty low key day. As soon as I got home from school Monique and I went down the street to her best friend’s house (which is the same house that Catie from Bama is staying in). We got in the pool for a bit to cool down and then we went on a walk with the kids. Catie’s host family has 3 – Luke, Stephanie, and Briana. I’m so thankful to have all of them so close. When Catie and I were walking around the lake the kids were riding their bikes and we felt like moms with our children! Allison and Rachel, if you are reading this, it reminded me of this summer when we went “power walking” like the moms do! J
Happy Groundhog Day to everyone tomorrow! Im planning on talking to the children about it tomorrow as part of my introduction. Ill let you all know how it goes! When I asked my teacher if she knew about Groundhog Day or if it would be alright if I told the children what is, she didn’t even know what a ground hog was! As I am typing this, my spell check is automatically changing Groundhog Day to capital letters which means it recognizes it as a holiday or something! It’s going to be really neat for me to share stuff like this with the children and also to learn about their holidays that we don’t have!
Psalm 91:11-12

4 comments:

  1. Heeeeey KAthleeeeeen! i didnt realize I was going to need my bible to follow this Blog. Now I got to go look up Psalms 91. I will talk to you later.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathleen!!! I have been thinking about you so much! It sounds like you are off to a great start. I am so glad you have another girl so close by that is from Alabama. I think that will help a lot. So glad you like the school and the teachers. It sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see some pictures.
    Oh my gosh, I would be in so much trouble with the conversions to metric! I can never get that figured out. Good luck! The spelling would make it interesting, too. I bet they will think groundhog day is hilarious. (It really is, when you think about it, isn't it?)
    Know that I love you and think about you every day. Soak it all in and treasure this experience. It truly is once in a lifetime.
    I love you!
    Aunt Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen: We are a little bit late getting on the "bandwagon" because we have been a little under the weather. We're much better and are so excited to hear all about your wonderful Australian experience. We couldn't be happier for you. Everyday will be a new and exciting adventure. We're anxious to hear about the kids in your class and how your first day went.
    Sounds as if you have a wonderful host family and we're so glad that you have made contact with the other girls from Alabama. We love the Bible verses that you include and are so glad that you have God to rely on.
    I hope you can take lots of pictures so you can relive the whole experience with us when you get home.
    We love you. I am sending this one tonight and Grandpa will write tomorrow.. . . Love,Grandma

    P.S. Good luck on the conversions. When you learn it, you can teach me when you come home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Danny -- you best get yo bible out brotha!! haha jk jk but yea each morning when I read my devotion it has a verse and that is the verse that I think about to help me get through the day. I am enjoying it over here but I still get a little homesick so I thought y'all might wanna know each verse too!

    Aunt Cyndie - so great to hear from you! I think of you often here because there is a kindie teacher at the school (they abbreviate everything over here and always call kindergarten kindie) anyway, she looks just like you! She probably thought I was so weird the first time I met her because we were in the teacher room for meetings all day and I stared at her the whole time! haha Her name is Karen and she is beautiful! Even the way she talks kinda reminds me of you, not the accent of course, but there is something that just makes me think of you when I see her! :) Love you!

    Grandma!! So great to hear that you and gramps are feeling better! I am about to post about my day today and you will soon read that I am overjoyed about this school year because the kids are so wonderful! Tell Grandpa he better comment soon! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete