Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bible Study

Tonight I am writing a bit later than I normally do. I just got home from a bible study and Leila, they all remind me of you and Ryan's community group from Mars Hill. They are all young couples that are just starting families and that sort of thing. I really enjoyed going and getting a chance to meet some locals. It wasn't really what I expected because the pastor of the church came and he normally isn't there. He was there to check in with them to see how everything is going and to get their feedback on some changes he wants to make within the church and see if they have any suggestions or changes they would like to see happen. I think I will go back again because they are studying the book of Jeremiah and I think that would be interesting for me to learn more about because I do know one verse off the top of my head, 29:11 and I live by that daily because being here has been a struggle at times for me to want to figure out exactly why I am here and all of that. Jannah picked me up from Tracy's and she is such a sweet girl. She just got married about 5 months ago to a guy named Troy and she is a year 3 teacher. We had lots to talk about on the car ride there and back seeing as I am a year 3 student teacher. I told her that I was getting observed tomorrow by my university supervisor here and before I got out of the car she prayed for me that everything will go smoothly tomorrow with my observation. I just think it is a wonderful thing that I have just met this girl on Sunday for a very brief time and now she is picking me up to go to bible study and praying with me as I get out of the car. God has been teaching me so much since I have been here but I am constantly reminded of these two things: Love God. Love People. I think that is all that he asks of us because then everything else will fall into place. Time is such a valued thing in every one's life and when we invest time in others it can make a world of difference. Jannah barely knows anything about me and yet she was so willing to give up a little of her time and it made me feel so welcome and comfortable. I want to be able to share that with people that I meet here and when I come home. I am so thankful that I have been able to have this opportunity and make these memories. I have had a countdown since I got here and at first I felt guilty about it because it felt like I was trying to focus on the end point rather than enjoy the journey, but I talked to my good friend, Madison and she helped me to see that I can look at it as I only have this many days left to share God with other people, or I only have this many days left to see as much of the city as I can. She helped me to see that I need to look at it more as a time frame to get everything checked off and try to fit as much stuff as I can into those 50 something days left.

Today was a lot better than yesterday! I was able to teach for pretty much the whole day except a little at the end. The kids are still funny as ever and today I was teaching a health lesson and they had a "Healthy Eating" worksheet that they had to fill out. One of the questions said what types of food should you eat the least amount of? And Jakob's answer was "lollies and shoklat" Lauren, it reminded me of the little girl you used to babysit, Ava, that would say "Wa-ren, can I have some shoc-wat milk?" haha or however she said it. Too funny! I think there was other funny stuff that happened but I was so busy I forgot to write it down! Anyway, it is about 10 to 11 and I need to get to bed. I am getting observed tomorrow so please keep me in your prayers. Much love to everyone!

Hebrews 12:1-2

5 comments:

  1. Heeeeeey Kathleeeeeeen! I was going to Comment yesterday but I fell Asleep in the Middle of Aunt Gina's post. Thanks Gina for the Nice nap. JK!!! I thought it was gr8. Kath I think it is neat that you are going to the bible study. i would be curious to know if their perception of Catholics is the same as over here.

    Can you believe all the Babies that will be here after you get back. Evelyn told me Last night that this is great because now there will be one for Anna Beth, Evelyn, Aunt Renee and even Uncle Gary. She feels sure she is going to get to hold one with those odds.

    I said a prayer for your evaluation but i realize that it is over beacuse as i read this you are getting ready for bed. Anywho I hope it went well. If it didn't i would be concerned about the intelligence of that supervisor.

    LOVE YOU LOTS
    and remember in a few more weeks they want have ole Kathleen to kick around no More. OAK MTN SR YR. Get It?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay well somehthing must have been wrong with the internet connection from hattiesburg to Australia because I posted last night and it seems the post has been lost in the wave links! Anyhoo, Thats awesome about your Bible study Kath, as you know since I have been in college I have quickly noticed God's work in my life. Love God, Love people. Love it! we have out intermural game tonight pretty stoked about it we picked up another player V.J Floyd he played running back here last season. The weather has been an awesome here which seems to make everything better! I miss you so much! Im in study hall right now and one of the graduate assistant tutors walked by and asked what I was reading i said my sisters blog she is teaching in australia and she said gosh your family seems awesome, lebanese AND your sister teaches in a different country! ha. Anyways I hope everything is going just heaps of great! Love you so much!
    p.s. Uncle Danny nice post. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great attitude Kath!!! Danny, her evaluation day hasn't started yet. It will be while you are sleeping tonite. She goes to work at 5 pm our time. So glad you are meeting such wonderful people! Love God, love people. Great mantra, but still watch out for people, especially in Bali! Love you, hopefully AB and I can chat with you tonite!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle D- tell Evie she can have 1st dibs on my baby!

    Kathleen- The Pres of Nord had lunch with our team the other day and I was talking to him all about Australia because he's from there. He was telling me about the things we say that are different and "lollies" was one of them. That's what call "candy", everything candy is a lollie, i love it!
    So glad to hear how the Lord is blessing you, it's always such a good thing to count your blessings and pray in thanks and praises before anything else. I'm very proud of you and it makes me happy to be able to read about your life experiences. Keep up the good work and we're all praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Danny - As far as I can tell Catholics are viewed the same way here. Quite sad actually. I wish everyone could just know that Christian means Christian no matter if you are Catholic or Protestant....I am so happy about all the new babies! Christmas time will be so much fun with all of them there!! haha oh the good ol days! And yes, it is flying by!

    Pete - glad your post finally went through! Ill try to call you soon!

    Hey daddy-o! Good talking with you today and yes, I will be having my guard up in Bali!

    Leila -- yes, I should have explained that in the post, they always say lollies for anything about candy and cookies are biscuits! Also, french fries are chips which Im sure you already knew! love you!

    ReplyDelete