Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mexican is not the same here

So last night Catie, Catherine, Erin and I decided that we really miss Mexican food! All you Aubs peeps know that I go to Acapulco’s pretty much all the time and chips and salsa is my fave! So we found a Mexican restaurant called Zapato’s. It is in downtown Perth and we were going to take the train into town and see what the city is like. It took as a while to find it but we got there and were so excited. The family that Catie lives with told us that it would prob be different than what we were used to and that you have to order chips and salsa as an appetizer. So we get there and ask to order the Trio dips and chip which includes guac, queso and salsa. IT WAS $13!! And I can’t post a pic now but I will try to post it soon so that you can see how tiny it was! Ok so remember those Kellogg’s cereal bowls that pretty much every kid had? It was a bowl that size with some chips in it and then 3 smaller bowls each filled with guacamole, queso, and salsa. WEAK! Anyway, they didn’t have quesadillas so I got a burrito and it was $17 and it didn’t even come with beans or rice! So needless to say we won’t be going back there. So then we just walked around the city went to a few pubs (all drinks are $10 or more) and then we caught the train home.
So this morning I got to see something that I’ve never seen….a net ball game! Net ball is a very popular game in Australia and pretty much every girl plays it! Monique had a game this morning so I went to watch. It is pretty much just like basketball but you cannot run when the ball is passed to you. You have to catch it and stand still until you can find someone open to pass it to and then when you get the other end of the court you try to throw it in the basket, but there is no backboard. Looks pretty simple and the kids love it!
Then we went to Whitford’s shopping center and I guess what I got?! You guessed it, a purse! If you know me well, you know that I love bags and I have tons of them but this one is great. I got it a store called Tree of Life and it is a bit hippy and has become my new fave store! Also, remember when I told you about pretzels2go?! Well Catie and I split one today and it was delish! We got a pizza pretzel and Im gonna have to bring the recipe to Auntie Anne’s!
After that we came home and played in the pool and hung out with Tracy and her friends. They are hilarious and we talked about the differences in how we say stuff. For example, they always “How are you going” rather than “how are you doing.” Also, when they are really tired they say “I’m nekkid!” and fanny means something else than your bottom….I won’t post it publicly but if you wanna know just send me an email or something. Also, whenever you say “thank you” they say “that’s alright” or “that’s ok.” Rarely do they say “you’re welcome,” they say “no worries” a lot too. And they don’t know what a bloomin’ onion is! Outback has misled us all!!
This afternoon Catie’s host family taught us how to play cricket. I think I’ll be going to a match soon and hopefully I can figure it out better when I see it but they say the games last about 5 hours!
And I have to give a special shout-out to my sweet Goddaughter OLIVIA because it is her birthday!! I miss you so much and I hope you have a wonderful birthday at Skates 280 where it is cool and shady!!  Love you so much!!
Romans 8:6

7 comments:

  1. $17 burrito??!!! Was it good even though different? How are prices on other things though? Is beer $10?

    How you going today Kathleenie-weenie?

    Miss you! OM lost to Spain park last nite in netball.
    Sometimes cricket match last for days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HHHHeeeeyyy Kathleeeeen! Didn't You Know
    Zapatos means SUCKER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $17 burritos!!!! And you have to BUY the chips and salsa? Definitely not the same as Acapulco's. Zapatos means shoes I'm pretty sure...what a weird name. Speaking of shoes...that's our Greek Sing theme...I'll letcha know how that one goes...hahaha. Anyway, I'll be looking out for your postcard! And CWE training is so much work! I'm in the Real World skit. Should be fun!! Keep up the posts!!!



    (it says sarahbragg because i am on her computer, but it's still me!) sarah says hey!!


    -Ragan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathleen,
    This is Mrs. Gallagher, your kindergarten teacher! I was so excited when Mrs. Rivers sent me your blog. I am so excited and proud of you! You have turned into a beautiful young lady! What a wonderful experience you are having. I am enjoying reading all your entries. Congratulations and I look forward to keeping up with your journey! You are going to make a wonderful teacher!! Have they heard of Tommie de Pola there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - it has only taken me a week to figure out how to become a follower and post a comment - "Haddam!" I am so, so happy that you are on this great adventure - a lifetime of memories. It sounds like you are adjusting to everything with little trouble, as I knew you would. Keep letting us know all about your life in Australia. Be safe and happy - know that lots and lots of people love and miss you! Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daddy -- no it really wasn't anything special. It had corn in it which was cool but it was shaped like a square and was smaller than normal. Everything is waay over priced! Yea I got a beer that was actually pretty good. It was called Little Creatures and it is brewed in Freemantle which is about 40 min away from I live. A light beer and pretty tasty. Cost me $9.50 for one! Sad to hear about the lady eagles! Is the season about ready to finish up?

    Uncle D-- found that out the hard way!

    Ragan -- you will be great at RW! late night practices, but all the campers will like that skit way more that WEW! trust me! Please let me know how greek sing goes! If I were there i would be participating even though I have no rhythm! Shoes, huh? Hey Braggsie!!

    Mrs Gallagher!! So great to hear from you! Mrs Rivers told me that she would tell you about it and Im so glad she did! I know it was a long time ago but I remember your class so vividly! I think that is when I decided I wanted to be a teacher! :)I don't know if they have heard of him but I'll have to check the public library because I bet the kids would love him just like I did, and still do!

    Aunt Gina! Glad you got it figured it out! After I made the first post I didn't write for about 2 weeks and it took me forever to figure out how to log in and create new posts! technology these days... Miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, Netball sounds like a cross between hoops and ultimate frisbee.

    Question: Are there any actual mexicans in Aussieland?

    ReplyDelete