Wednesday, February 2, 2011

OMG!

So I am officially obsessed. Seriously, I am so happy that I came here! Mama, Daddy, Alice, I know I cried to the three of you through texting or phone calls the first few days but now I am wondering why I was being such a baby!! The kids came to school today and I absolutely fell in love! We have 24 students and they are precious! Not to toot my own horn or anything but I think they like me, too!

The school is a wonderful atmosphere and I hope to work in a school with this type of environment one day. All of the teachers have been teaching together for years and they are like family. The principal (they call him boss) and the assistant principal (they call him deputy) are wonderful leaders and two of the 4 male teachers at the school. All of the teachers are so kind to one another and very generous to help each other throughout the day. It really feels like a family there and that is just what I like!

Since today was the first day they had lots of house keeping type stuff to do. So the children come to school with all of their supplies and then the teacher takes a look at it to see what she wants to do with it. Its kind of interesting because they come with a whole packet of stuff and Connie told me that some stuff she won't even need them to use. I can't really remember how we did it in elementary school but I think the teachers pass out the list that they will need rather than have a set list for everyone in the city to use? Anyway, that took up a good bit of the morning just figuring out the notebooks and folders and what we will use them for.

After we got settled with all of that, it was my turn to take over and introduce myself and talk about Groundhog Day! They thought it was very interesting and then they started telling me about holidays that they have. Last week they celebrated Australia Day, much like 4th of July. Unfortunately, that was last Wednesday which was the day that I lost while traveling over here! But I knew about it one, because Marissa told me it was in her planner :) and two, because Monique gave me some Australian flag tattoos that she said everyone had on Australia Day! Ill be bringing those back and I have about 20 so if anyone wants one just let me know!

Also, in my introduction Connie wanted me to talk about my family and explain to the kids that this year we were going to be a family within our classroom. She wanted me to talk about team work and ask them if they are involved with anything else that they feel is like a family, ie sports teams, neighborhoods, church groups, etc. So as I am talking about all of that and explaining what it is I decided to let them tell me a little about their family so I can get to them know and all that good stuff. This is the best response by far:

Me: Danny, tell us a little about your family
Danny: Well, we are a typical Italian family who loves drag racing. I have a sister and two brothers and we all love my dad's cars. They are part of the family, too.

(as he was drawing the picture of his family I had to constantly remind him to draw people because he kept drawing cars)

It took just about everything I had to hold back my laughter!! I can already tell he is going to be providing lots of funny comments that I will for sure share with all of you!

As I was leaving the school today I was just smiling non stop because I am so happy with everything here! Thank you all for your prayers because I know that is what is helping everything to fall into place here!

Oh yea, Daddy asked me about the food here so I guess I should speak a little about that. It is pretty good! I do miss our food but most of it is the same. I had lamb for dinner which made me think of Kafta and I wish I could have that right now! But most of it is pretty good. My appetite has changed since I've been here so I have only cleaned my plate like two times and usually I eat every bite! But overall its not much different than home. I haven't tried vegimite yet but I plan to do that soon! Ill let you know what that is like! They have a subway and KFC so Ill prob hit those up pretty soon when I start to really miss American food! Right now I am watching shrek 3 with Monique and we are sharing a bag of M&Ms. For those of you who know me well, you know that M&Ms are my absolute favorite! And the cool thing about these M&Ms are that they are "mix ups" which means the bag contains peanut, crispy, and plain! Hopefully we will get this at home soon! They come in a green bag so be on the lookout!

Hope all is well at home! Tell me if the groundhog saw his shadow!!

Romans 12:2

6 comments:

  1. Puxatawney phil did not see his shadow so we will have an early spring. So glad everything is going great. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeeeeey Kathleeeeenn!! I am on hold Right now with the M&M's Chocolate company. I find it utterly absurd that Americans are forced to purhase three bags of M&Ms in order to create Mix ups. I think that is why they are rioting in the streets of Egypt. We do not want that here.

    Love You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen,
    I have so many questions! How old is Monique? Can you post pictures on your blog? I want to see all of these people you're talking about. Also, I would like for you take a few photos of the foods you eat and post those too! Yes- please save a tattoo for me, I will most definitely be needing one of those (maybe 2 or 3). Ok, most importantly, the President of NPG (Nordstrom Product Group) is from Australia, and before our big big meeting this morning he talked about the cyclones, floods and tragic weather issues that are happening over there...are you near any of that??? BE CAREFUL! You're dad is already "blaming" me for your Adventurous Spirit and if anything happens to you I'll be in deep ka-ka!

    One last thing- Glad to hear Uncle Danny is taking care of the M&M situation that's going on (not going on) here in the states- what is this world coming to not delivering the Mix-Ups to us...as if we don't need them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll have to see if your student Danny can top the comment that your mom had early on in her teaching career...it's one that Uncle Josh quotes all the tine. Your mom was giving her firat graders a timed test and one little boy was really spun up over it and couldn't calm down. Your mom asked him what was wrong and he said, "Miss Bostany, I'm so excited my penis is tingling!" She told him he better go to the bathroom right away. Priceless! Love you, girl! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA! I cant stop laughing the posts, the comments, SO funTy! omg typical Italian family thats halirious! Did you not die out laughing when he said it?! I miss you so much and glad you're having a great time! I knew once you got in the swing of things it would get better. Me and Octavious just got done playing basketball we are on an intermural team and we won so i'll keep you posted on that. Oh and get as many green bags of m&m's as you can to bring back they sound legit. Also, I have been watching criminal minds like its going out of stlye you really got me into it. I would bring you some kafta if I could. Have a great rest of the week. I think youre kick ass and a great older sista!
    Much Love, Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daddy-o -- Got your text today about letting everyone know that I am not near the cyclones and I forgot to put that in there! But no, the cyclones are in Queensland which is wear the flooding is and not near me at all.

    Uncle Danny -- keep at it!

    Leila -- Monique is 9 and she is in year 4. She is a cute little girl and tells all her friends that I am her big sister! I will be posting pics of people soon! I am about to make a new post to show you what the school looks like and I plan on taking pics of people very soon!

    Aunt Cyndie -- that is hilar! Dont think Ive heard that story yet! Priceless! And I forgot to say this yesterday too but when Connie was asking the class how they know that Miss Boehme is from some where else, one of the students said Because Boehme sounds like Spain? haha

    Pete!! Ahh!! I miss you sososo much! You know best that I laught at just about everything and it really took all I had to hold back my laughter when Danny said that in class! I miss criminal minds so much!! They have a movie rental place here with lots of american tv shows and Im going to have to take a look around there soon to see if they have CM! My favorite is Spencer Reid and before I left he was having some nightmares and bad headaches, is he doing alright now?! Miss you so much!! Tell Tay I said hello and I miss him too!

    ReplyDelete