Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pumpkin Pie!

Tonight was a successful baking night! Thanks, Grandma, for sending me your famous recipe! It was a lot of work trying to figure out the measurements, good thing I have become pretty good with conversions to and from the metric system! Kerri-Anne and I left school pretty much straight away to go to the shops to get all the ingredients. We bought enough to double the recipe so that we could eat some tonight after dinner and have enough for bible study tomorrow night. So we went to the shops and bought butternut pumpkin, about 2.5 kg which is a little over a pound. We had to cut it up and then boil it. After it was boiled we mashed it and used a mixer to make it smooth then we added all the spices and the evaporated milk and then we baked it! I was so thankful that we found pie crust at Woolworth's! They were really good pie crusts and made the pie taste delicious! I have some left over pie filling so I will make some more for Tracy and Monique and probably even one for the staff room so the other teachers can try it. I think it is crazy that no one here has ever tried it and they think it is crazy to think of pumpkin in a pie!

School is starting to get to that point where the kids are in need of a break and the teachers are as well. It is hard to get them to focus and it feels like the week before Spring Break back home. I think next week since it is only two days, we will just do easy stuff and probably lots of crafts for Easter and ANZAC Day. ANZAC day stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and it is like their Memorial Day. We are having a ceremony on the last day of school and the children lay wreaths in memory of the lost souls from WWI. I hear it gets pretty emotional and it is a much bigger deal here than our Memorial Day. I'll have to let you know more about it next weel.

My students are starting to write me cards and little things that say they are going to miss me and all that and Jade gave me a stuffed koala as a going away present. It is really cute and I know I will never forget this class. They are just awesome. I dont know if I have said this yet, but I taught them how to say "War Eagle, Aubie!" So cute!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT JUDY!! I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

Psalm 31:14

No comments:

Post a Comment